Xiang Xi - 2020 Public Summary

Completed on August 31, 2020


With this being my first summer working with FACTSnet, I was hired as a part of the IT team, but my role within the organization grew as the summer proceeded. Initially, I was designated to write and complete web reviews for Calgary and Alberta/Japan Schools. The ease of this job allowed me to gain an understanding of how FACTSnet functions. As my job continued, I was tasked with assignments that focused more on my current field of study, Computer Science. Sending out newsletters and creating templates for web reviews allowed me to work closer to my proposed position as an IT team member. Nevertheless, as I carried through my tasks, I was eventually given the opportunity to express my skills by creating Blogger websites for UofA, UofA Networking Group, UofC, 15-30, Post-Secondary and Secondary.  These blogs provided places to publish other teams’ work in their respective institutions. Thus, at the end of my work term, my core tasks included publishing and editing documents onto these Blogger websites and others, which allow me to fully utilize my position as an IT team member.


Working at FACTSnet has allowed me to develop my skills as a Computer Science student. I have gained significant experience in HTML, CSS and font-end programming in general. Through self-studying and learning from previous IT members, I now possess the skills to create my own personal website and display my achievements and projects in the field of Computer Science. However, other than the hard skills I have learned, I have also developed a set of soft skills that will benefit me in my future work environments. With FACTSnet being my first full time job, I have comprehended knowledge regarding how to work with others in a professional manner. I have gained experience in working collaboratively with people from different backgrounds through effective communication and I will be able to transfer these skills to my next work position smoothly. 


FACTSnet has been a tremendous organization to with, however, since the start, I have noticed there exists a slight deal of disorientation and disorganization with both new hires and assigning projects. I believe one of the weaknesses of the group is lack of clarity. Ever since the orientation meeting, tasks and assignments handed to employers were not present with clear instructions. I often had to contact my supervisor in order to clarify the purpose of the task. However, FACTSnet was able to take charge in this issue and resolve it by creating a more thorough set of Guidelines and Standards resolved a large majority of the repetitive questions being asked. 


As my work term with FACTSnet comes to an end, I have to transition the duty of maintaining my Blogger websites to my fellow IT team members. This includes any new material needed to be published and the overall appearance of these websites. 


FACTSnet has provided me with an amazing opportunity to express my newly learned technical skills in a work environment. I am grateful for this experience and I hope FACTSnet continues to develop and expand their networks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment