Kari - 2020 Public Summary


Kari is a student currently enrolled in two degrees: a Bachelor of Arts for Behavioural Science, and a Bachelor of Science for Biology. She hopes to pursue a career in counselling to provide help to those struggling with mental health or relationship issues, so they may reach a state of mental wellbeing. This is her fourth year working for FACTS and, as such, she fills a number of leadership roles for them while continuing her own projects researching various psychology topics. 




This year I acted in a supervisor capacity as part of the core leadership team and the primary leader for the soul wellness team. This required me to attend administration meetings and discuss FACTS workplace procedures, lead team meetings, supervise the work of individuals in my team, and give orientation to new employees/supervisors when necessary. I was able to further develop my leadership capabilities in doing so, and, through completing DISC reports, also learned what my leadership strengths are and how to apply them to leading and working with people with different personalities. 


The first half of my work term had me mainly fulfilling leadership and administration tasks, including orienting new leaders and employees, checking others’ reporting, learning about my and others’ DISC personalities, and helping get the Soul Wellness team going. I had started my term by working on reviewing church websites, but quickly found enough work that had me switching my focus. The Soul Wellness team’s main goal was to create annotated indexes for the various soul wellness topic documents, which had been written in previous years. Another goal was to do research on the mental health impacts of COVID-19 and create both assignments and a blog post using this research. My main involvement in these projects however, was to oversee their progress and answer any questions my team members had.

The second half of my work term allowed me time to complete my previous project on the Brain Story. I worked on finishing previously written summaries by improving cohesiveness and doing final edits. I also continued overseeing the work of the Soul Wellness team as they worked on the annotated indexes and COVID-19 course material and blog post. Due to my interest in psychology, I was also responsible for proofreading the COVID-19 documents so they were publishable. The task of proofreading the COVID-19 blog post helped me become more familiar with the newest APA formatting guidelines, which will help me write future academic papers using APA.


The annotated indexes need to be completed by having final proofreading where necessary, their introductions need completed and proofread, and the annotations themselves need proofreading. Once these items are completed, they can each be posted on their respective blog sites. 

I was also tasked with researching the connection between COVID-19 and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in particular, but didn’t have time to get it going. If FACTSnet wishes, they may want to have someone else pursue and complete this.

Although I have completed my project on the Brain Story, before they can be published to the blog, they need to be proofread by a person other than myself and then edited accordingly. Similarly, my Narcissism project was completed a couple years ago, but has been proofread again. As such, edits need to be made according to the suggestions from the proofreading, and then the document needs to be transferred onto its public documents. Once that is done, it should be able to be published to the blog. 


As mentioned above, by working with FACTSnet this year, I was able to further develop my leadership capabilities, but I also learned how to effectively lead people with different personalities, even if I still need practice doing so. Furthermore, I was able to work on my public speaking and presenting skills as I led team meetings effectively. Unfortunately, this wasn’t able to help me become more adept at speaking in front of large groups as I continued to struggle to do so effectively when asked to present in general meetings. Another weakness that became more evident to me this year was my communication. I can sound more harsh or strict than I intend to be, especially in writing, which can create feelings of inadequacy in those I’m speaking to. The DISC report helped me become more aware of this, so hopefully the knowledge of this will allow me to improve in this domain.


To read about my work from previous years, see my 2018 and 2019 Public Summaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment